Common Causes of Water Leaks
Water leaks are easily preventable if you know what to look for. Here are some of the most common causes of water leaks in the home:
- Worn toilet flappers
- Dripping faucets
- Old, deteriorating pipes
- Roots busting through pipes
- Other leaking valves
According to the U.S. EPA, 10% of U.S. homes have leaks that waste around 90 gallons or more per day. This amounts to over 1 trillion gallons of water lost from U.S. homes each year.
In addition to lost water and money, water leaks can also lead to mold, mildew, foundation cracks, sinkholes, water contamination, water damage, fire, and electrocution hazards. Fixing easy-to-correct leaks can save you about 10% on your water bills.
How to Identify Water Leaks
Here are some easy ways to identify water leaks in your home:
- Take a look at your water bill. If you are using more than 12,000 gallons of water for a family of four, you most likely have a serious water leak.
- Check your water meter, usually located in an underground box near your front curb. If you have a leak detection dial and it is moving, then you have a water leak (make sure you aren’t running any water in your home). If you don’t have a leak detection dial, then write down the number on your water meter and then check it again about 2 hours later. Make sure you don’t use any water during this time period. If there is any change in the meter reading, you probably have a leak.
- Find out if your toilet is leaking by placing a few drops of food coloring into the toilet tank. If colored water shows up in the bowl after 10 or 15 minutes, you have a toilet leak. Makes sure you flush the toilet soon afterwards to avoid staining the toilet bowl. Common causes of toilet leaks include ill-fitting flappers and toilet chains.
Professional Leak Detection and Repair
Sometimes, DIY leak detection won’t work, which is when you should contact the professionals at Manzo Plumbing and Heating, Inc.
We use a variety of leak detection methods, including:
Pressure testing – We can tell if you have a water leak by testing the water pressure in your pipes. This is a more reliable method than checking the water meter. Lack of proper water pressure may also indicate a clog or buildup in your pipes. If your water pressure is lower than what it should be, then we will use our plumbing cameras to pinpoint the cause.
Video camera plumbing inspection – You may be able to tell if you have a leak, but only special plumbing cameras can pinpoint the exact location of your leak. Using waterproof, infrared cameras, our highly trained plumbers can locate your water leak easily. This is especially important if you have a slab leak. Once the leak is found, we can recommend different repair methods.
We have been detecting and fixing water leaks for over 30 years. Contact Manzo Plumbing and Heating Inc. to take care of all your plumbing problems.
Gas Leak Detection and Repair
If you suspect a gas leak in your home, it’s important to act fast. Gas line leaks are extremely flammable and toxic if inhaled by humans or animals.
Here are some signs that you have a gas leak:
Rotten egg or sulfuric smell – Although natural gas is odorless and colorless, gas manufacturers add a chemical called mercaptan, which gives it a rotten egg or sulfuric smell.
Dead or discolored grass – An underground gas leak can cause your grass to die or turn brown. If you notice dead or brown patches of grass, contact a professional plumber.
Hissing sounds – If you notice a hissing sound near any of your gas pipes or appliances, you may have a gas leak.
If you suspect a gas leak, evacuate the household and contact your gas company right away to shut off gas to your home. Then call the professional plumbers at Manzo Plumbing and Heating Inc. for reliable service.
Common causes of gas leaks include:
- Old gas lines
- Damaged gas lines
- Corrosion or other damage
Why Choose Manzo Plumbing and Heating, Inc.?
In addition to water and gas leak detection, we also have all the equipment necessary to make fast repairs. By having a professional Nassau County plumber find and fix your plumbing leaks, you can avoid serious problems that will cost you money and put your household at risk.
Contact Manzo Plumbing and Heating, Inc. today and enjoy:
- Fully licensed, bonded, and insured repair work
- Background checked and drug tested technicians
- Exceptional workmanship
- Professional advice
- Affordable rates
- Extensive experience
- Honest, prompt, and reliable service
- Superb client service
- Fully stocked trucks
- Live call center (no machines)
- Courtesy call before and after service
- Family owned and operated
- BBB A+ rated
- Same-day service
- Upfront pricing
- Money-back guarantee
The fully trained, bonded, and insured technicians at Manzo Plumbing and Heating, Inc. provide a comprehensive range of plumbing services, including leak detection and repair. We have all the latest tools and technology to solve your plumbing problems quickly and professionally with no mess. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.